Feathers From the Nest

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Ponds are a nasty business!

Boy am I glad that pond plants only have to be divided and re-potted every couple of years! THAT was a nasty mess! Before I started I called a friend who has a pond and asked if she'd like some new plants. She said she would and that she'd come by to pick them up later in the day. You see, it would have killed me to have to throw away plants I couldn't use! I also love the idea of passing on some plants to my friend's gardens.
I've been putting this chore off for a couple of months now because I knew it would be a big mess and not one I was looking forward to. The first group I tackled were the pond Iris. They've been in the corner of my pond for more than 2 yrs. The rhizomes had begun to grow over the edges of the container and roots were entangled in the little drainage holes of the planting container. It was a mess trying to getting that little (BIG) bugger out of its pot! I divided the plant up and ended up with quite a few extras for my friend.
Next was the BIG one! Bog Bamboo. This plant has given me fits for several weeks now as it has gotten so large that every time the wind blows it topples over. (These plants are in specialized containers and sit on the elevated ledges of the pond) I knew this one was going to be a pain and so went directly for the butcher knife! The roots from the bamboo had entangled themselves in the cords for the fountains, pumps etc. and unfortunately made a great hiding place for my fish. They also were a fabulous natural filter. They were however, creating quite a mess and so had to go.
I divided this monstrosity into 3 huge sections. I only needed one, so Jeannie got the other two as her pond is twice as big as mine. All in all it took over 3 hours to get this nasty chore accomplished. The filtering system we have is fantastic so my water quickly cleared up after all of the disturbance and my Shebunkins (fish) are happily enjoying their habitat albeit minus their hiding place. I have no doubt that those bamboo roots will come back quick enough.
You know, as I was busy digging my hands into the pond slime and dirt to loosen the roots from the containers it occurred to me that my chore was a great metaphor for life.
The leaves on the pond iris leaves had begun to turn a yellow color. They were no longer getting the nutrients they needed from the soil. In order for them to get healthy again they had to be torn from their container, cut apart and re-potted in a new container with fresh clean soil with plenty of room for their roots and new growth.
Sometimes our lives get so full of things we get accustomed to. We get settled. Our roots get deeply planted and become entangled with whatever surrounds us. The problem is, our lives get so compacted, so entangled with the "everyday" that there is no room for growth. No new friends, no new hobbies, no new learning experiences. We start to get "yellow". While a healthy root system is a must, it is essential that we provide room for new growth. Sometimes it takes drastic measures to clean the "dirt" and "slime" from our lives. Sometimes it can be a nasty mess but it is really important for our health spiritually, emotionally and mentally.
That's why I love gardening. It gives me time to think. Time to reflect. Time to ponder the complexities of life. It also provides great lessons for life.
I think I'll go sit out by my newly planted pond and watch the "Shebunkins" while the sun sets and thank God for the simple things that teach such great lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment