Feathers From the Nest

Friday, July 30, 2010

Friends Are Friends Forever....(cue the music)

Recently I got a wonderful surprise in the mail. A friend that I've known for 20 yrs. (but haven't had a lot of contact with for the last 15)sent me a box filled with a whole collection of vintage linens. It also contained some paper potato bags from Maine. (I come from Maine, which is where Kathy and I met and became friends. Maine is also known for their potatoes,especially in Aroostook County where we were stationed at Loring, AFB together.
When I showed Brian the contents of my box he made the comment; "Well that's a little odd!" To which I replied, "No, Kathy knows me." In Brian's male brain it was weird that someone I really haven't had a lot of contact with over the past 15 yrs. would send me a box, out of the blue, full of things that he saw no value in.
You see, sometimes men just don't get it! What Brian didn't understand is that there are people in your life that while you may not talk to them for a long time, you can pick up the phone, write a note, or send a wonderful surprise box and it's like you've been talking every day! They know you. They know what you love. They know what you hate. They understand who you are and how you think. Those are the people who just "get" you! Those kinds of people don't come around very often. Most people don't invest or take the time to get to know you that well. Those are the friendships that are lasting, wonderful and forever.
I am blessed to have several wonderful people in my life like this. We may not talk often, or we may talk every day. Irregardless they are the people I know I can call at 3am... or not for years, we're still friends.... forever.
To all my "forever friends", and you know who you are, You are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment